I had to go to the thrift store today--going to a party with a white elephant gift exchange next weekend, and I needed a present. And while I was there, I realized that I should probably look for some stuff for the costume I'll be making soon-- Nicole is having the New Year's Eve costume party, and the theme is historical figures. So I'm going as Cleopatra. I know how I'm going to do the dress, and I have stash fabric that will cover it, but I need some accessories. So I was quite excited when I found these sandals for $2.50-- especially because they actually fit my ugly-stepsister feet!
The sewing part of the costume I've been having the most trouble figuring out is the belt. No lie-- I was literally walking around, thinking that this would be the perfect day to find horrific 80's shiny gold pants. And then I spotted these.
Yeah, that's right-- gold spandex pants. Oh, the humanity-- I can't believe these were ever in style! But I can't complain too much, because this will be much nicer to sew on than the gold lame I rejected at Joann's for this purpose the other day.
And yes, I did find my white elephant gift-- a light-up toy lightsaber for $2. Not sure if it actually lights up, haven't changed the batteries to check, but I'm thinking it might be good for a few laughs. And hopefully some steals.
Been working on crafts, too.
I finished these tea wallets today.
And this is what one looks like on the inside...
though I haven't added the tea yet.
I took the idea from this tea wallet tutorial by Krustallos, though I ended up changing it-- the first one I tried, I didn't like the way it looked with the many layers of fabric showing aroun dthe edges. Plus I kind of wrecked the tabs trying to get the snaps in. So then I made these two with velcro. The blue one is for my friend Tracey, and the brocade one is for my brother's girlfriend, since they both like tea. And I was quite happy that I was able to make both of these from things on hand!
|From sew and so|
Then I took this dress that I'd found ages ago at the thrift store, and turned it into this.
|From sew and so|
I'm thinking it needs work. The ribbon still isn't laying quite right, and the bottom seems just a little too full for a tunic. I probably should have taken some of that out before I hemmed it!
I did another sewing project today too, but I'm not showing it yet because it's that secret project I'd mentioned a post or two ago. Hopefully will have some pictures after next weekend.