February 24, 2009

It was a dark and starry night...

One of the weekend's projects down! Here's the pattern review, with a few comments to interrupt myself when pictures demand it.

Pattern: Simplicity 7097

Pattern Description: 6 straight skirts with length/embellishment/ruffle variations. Also a purse.

Pattern Sizing: 8-22. I made view B in size 14.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, though my sheer fabric was pre-embellished so I did not need to add the stripes.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, I had no trouble with them at all--the only difficulty I had was with the slit in the back of the sheer, but that was because I used French seams and had to wing it to get the slit sewed down with the fabric turned the opposite way.


(A closeup view of the fabric)

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? It's a great basic straight skirt pattern. No dislikes come to mind.

Fabric Used: A sequined polyester sheer for the overskirt, lined with a teal poly satin.

(So the teal can be seen better. Yes, I need to press that hem better--the iron was being entirely uncooperative and just dumping water on my fabric.)



Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: No alterations-- this skirt fits me perfectly as is. The only design change was the aforementioned French seams (which had been suggested as a possible way to finish the sheers.) And I did hand-baste in the zipper first, which made a world of difference!

From sew and so

(I know it gaps just a little at the top where the actual zipper pull is, but otherwise I'm quite proud of this one!)

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? This is my second time with this pattern--several years ago I made view A, the long straight skirt. And yes, I would highly recommend it.

Conclusion: A great basic straight skirt pattern-- view B would also be great on its own without the overlay.

So, since I'm counting all fabrics purchased before January 1 as part of my stash, this skirt puts me at 3 stash pieces used/6 purchased new this year. I'm catching up! (Technically speaking, I did purchase 8, but since two of those were strictly for lining purposes, I'm not counting them--considering those to be a necessary notion like zippers and thread!)

On a random note, I saw today while blog-surfing that the March issue of BWOF is out. Hoping that my subscription starts this month, because there's some things I really liked! But if nothing else, I can grab some inspiration from it for some of those men's shirts I wanted to reconstruct...


5 comments:

  1. Ooh, pretty skirt, Becky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice looking skirt. Great job. Interesting fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic skirt! Cool fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really nice! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty skirt!! I also really like that fabric!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!