January 9, 2010

My first finished project of 2010!


For the uninitiated, this is what's known as a TARDIS--from the updated version of Doctor Who. My friend Tracey is getting married in two weeks, and she's a big fan of the show--it was often a common pick for her, Cassie and I during our crafty weekends. And she got her fiance hooked on it-- I was hanging out with them last week for New Year's Eve, and I heard the theme song quite a bit because he made it his ringtone! So this is part of their wedding gift. (Don't worry, I got them something off the registry too--a kitchen timer. Figure it fits with the whole "time lord" theme. ;-)

I got the idea and a basic tutorial from the craft:g33k blog. Ended up having to do mine a little differently--there weren't any measurements, and so I made the outer pieces a bit too big by accident. (And didn't figure it out until after all of the little door bits were reverse appliqued and the police box signs were on, so I couldn't make them any smaller. So I ended up adding a couple of layers of some leftover quilt batting (thanks, Mom!) Which makes it a little puffier than it probably should have been, especially around the base, but at least the tissue box isn't going to fall out! I also ended up doing some slightly different things in the construction, mostly in terms of machine sewing more things and the signs going on before the whole box was constructed. I also wrote the signs using a paint pen, and did the stitching on the windows by machine, instead of embroidering them--what can I say, I'm lazy. The hardest part was undoubtedly sewing the base on--the cardboard made it tough!

So that's that. Now I just need to hem and alter my best friend's bridesmaid dress, alter my own non-bridesmaid dress so it fits my waist better, make some baby gifts/3 sets of curtains/a bunch of pillows/finish my quilt, and then I can get back to crafty life as usual!

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow! This is brilliant. My sister would love something like that as she's a huge doctor who fan! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so cute! What a great idea! And well executed! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. !!!!
    Awesome! Sorry about the half assed instructions...

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!