September 4, 2011

What's on the needles...

I started this one last week, and it's going along fairly quickly! This is the first of a pair of slippers (second pattern down on this page). I'm knitting two yarns together, which is the first time I've tried this--the Lion Brand Recycled Cotton in Seagrass,  and Caron Spa in Green Sheen. I'm  hoping that I'll get the best of both worlds--the cotton seems more durable, but the bamboo is much softer. I like the mottled effect that I'm getting from doing the two together--the cotton was already two-tone, and the bamboo adds a nice brighter shade to the green.

A close-up of the cables. This is my first time doing it, and it's not nearly as scary as I thought it would be! Granted, this is probably a really easy cable, because it's the same pattern repeating over and over on a flat rectangle, and only four stitches affected every six rows. So I'm thinking this was probably an ideal project to try it out on.

Maybe, just maybe, I can finish the first slipper (at least the knitting, not the sewing) by the end of the long weekend....tomorrow's plans are another movie marathon/hangout/yarncrafting day with my best friend, so I'll get quite a bit of time to work on it!

2 comments:

  1. I cant wait to see the slippers finished. I love the color. My great Grandmother used to make me slippers when I was a kid, so this reminds me of her. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a lovely green! :) Cables are the next thing about knitting that I want to learn. I'm thinking mittens/fingerless gloves...

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!