September 1, 2011

Fall Essentials Sew-Along!

I was excited to see this announcement over at Rhinestones & Telephones today--I was curious to see what the categories would be this time! Of course I'm participating--even though I didn't quite get through my entire list by the end of August (though I at least started everything by then!), I love the flexibility of getting to choose my own patterns. And this one especially seems rather conducive to allowing for knitting to be part of my wardrobe scheme. So, in almost no particular order, here's what I'm hoping to be up to for the next couple of months. The sew-along information is copied from Sarah's blog, with the rest of it being my own plans. (Lots of pics ahead!)


ABOUT THE SEW-ALONG
Fall is often a very busy season for many of us, filled with activities that often have us running hither and yon. Making your items should be a form of relaxation; a time to slow down and enjoy the creative process.

The goal: Stock your wardrobe with quality pieces that you will wear again and again.

The benefit: A group of creative people who will encourage and inspire you, not to mention talk you off the ledge when you need it!


Well, she's got that right....fall is almost always really busy for me, and it looks like this one will be no exception. Since I'm still having no luck in the job-hunting department, though, I should at least be able to find some time to sew during the weeks, even if it seems like almost every weekend between now and the end of October has something going on!

Fashionable Foundations for Frosty Weather
Trousers, skirts, legwarmers and more! Anything that keeps your lower portion fashionably cozy fits perfectly here! The chilly weather necessitates the donning of bifurcated bottoms and sassy skirts!







I've said it before and I'll say it again-- I'm determined that this will be the fall that I finally conquer The Jeans. So I'll be revisiting my latest muslin from the twice-taken PR Jeans class, which I set aside once the LBD plans started happening, and hopefully using this denim to make a fabulously fitting pair!






There will also be some skirt action happening, though I'm not entirely sure how much. I do have one currently in the works that I started last night in an attempt to participate in the latest Refashion Co-Op weekly challenge. If all goes according to plan, it'll fill a long-standing hole in my wardrobe...but more on that in a later post. I did also pull out these couple of things so I could have some quick projects if needed in the midst of the more complicated plans I have for the fall. (Though I wonder how quick they'd actually be, seeing as how those prints mean that both skirts would be lined...)


Also, on a random note, I love that they used the word "bifurcated".


Chic Chemises for Cool Climates
Blouses, tops, vests, cardigans, and sweaters! These wardrobe essentials can carry you from day to night, not to mention provide necessary layering to keep out the chill. 


Blouse #1, which I mentioned in my last post, is already in action! But again, more on that later. I've also pulled out this knit...

I'm not sure what pattern I'm actually going to use for it yet, but this was one of my fabrics I got from Mood last year. And while this is a bit of a departure fabric for me, I think it would go fabulously with that red skirt if I get to it. I looked through my patterns a bit today, and came up with these four possibilities:
From left to right, I'm thinking either the 3/4 print top, the reddish twist-front top, the white basic top, or that stripey drapey v-neck top. I know you're normally not supposed to break up large prints with patterns that involve a lot of seams, but at the moment I'm leaning towards either the twist-front top or the drapey-front top. Seems to me that smaller pattern pieces in front might make it easier to avoid unfortunate print placement, given all of those circles!


Also, there is that sweater knitalong that's going to be happening very soon. And another refashion idea I've had bouncing around in my head for awhile, which again may be a quicker thing.

Fabulous Frocks
Dresses of all styles; mini, short, or long! Keep yourself warm in your modish designs, layering with tights and boots!




Two words (actually a word and a number): Vogue 1253. Which I will be making out of these: The jersey, which I've had for a couple of years, is on top, and this is the tricot lining and organza I recently picked up to go along with it. (It's ok to buy fabric to help me bust stash fabric, right?)



This will most likely be the next thing after the blouse and the recon skirt--since it's sleeveless, I need to finish it while I still have a shot at being able to wear it.

 


Underneath It All
When you're spending months covered from the neck down, a glamorous underpinning of your choice adds a secret, luxurious touch that chases the cold away!



No plans for this category currently.

Tender Tootsies
Let's not forget your frosty feet! Socks, slippers and the like are the order of the day. Keep those tootsies warm and dry! 


I did cast on a new knitting project the other day that actually fits this category! Which I'm only 7 or 8 rows into, so it still counts. But again, more on that later.

Those Cozy Nights
Is there anything better than snuggling up in a cozy pair of pajamas with a hot drink and a book whilst Jack Frost works his magic outside? I think not! Sleepwear of all types are the way to go here!



You know, I think I'm actually good on cooler-weather PJs for now! So again, no current plans for this category.

Baby It's Cold Outside
Coats, hats, and mittens donned to keep the cold at bay, especially when out enjoying the spectacular fall colours!



I have hopes of being able to work in a knitted hat, in this (the yarn I got at my inaugural visit to the local yarn store):

And, well, Gorgeous Fabrics lured me in with their current sale....which includes that raincoat fabric I wanted. So I bought 4 yards of that, and it arrived in the mail today. I think it'll be lovely to sew with--more taffeta-like and less vinyl-like than I expected! (And I did flick some water on it to see--it does repel!) Given that I have other things I need to get done sooner, this may not actually be part of the sew-along. I'm just going to say I'd like to have it done by around Decemberish.



But I do also have this pulled out, to make another brown coat. This one more for layering purposes. Isn't the lining fun? And I love the look of this jacket (from the 11/09 Burda magazine)--it reminds me of those 70's jackets of my mom's that I used to wear all the time as a teenager, before they got worn out/too small for me. (I'm a bit taller than she is, so they were always a bit snug across my back and such.)


I realize that this is a lot of stuff, and the chances of me actually getting through all of this are pretty slim. But it'll be fun to try!

2 comments:

  1. You have some great projects planned. I especially look forward to seeing your knitted projects.

    Suzanne
    minousminute.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!