October 29, 2012

Hey, it's starting to look like a dress!

Considering that we're pretty much in Sandy's direct line of fire, as of when I started writing this (around 10:30 on Monday night), I've gotten off pretty easy! It's been very wet and windy here, but no trees down around my house, and the power hasn't even flickered. We were, however, under a state of emergency that required staying home. So I just sewed basically all day, other than a little flute practicing break. I can't say I was sorry that I had a day to do that.

So I got the princess-seam-creating dart sewed in, marked the changes to the straps, lowered the neckline, fiddled with the waistband, and got the skirt basically basted together enough to do this:


Full test front
Basically, this is what my dress will look like! When I cut out the skirt pieces on Saturday, I wasn't sure if the skirt would be full enough that I could comfortably walk in it, but I think it will be fine. I did have to do some tweaking--there was way too much room in the back skirt to match up with the waistband, for sure. And after pinning it all together multiple times, I basically had to shift the top of every seam around so that the skirt seams more or less line up with the darts and seams of the bodice. (Hopefully more.) 

I think I'm going to have to redo the bodice muslin one more time, with the princess seams, to make sure I haven't just stretched and warped the fabric into submission. It's just as well--I also ended up having to move the shoulder seams, and I need to test the pattern changes for the sheer upper back. And, well, the princess seams, which I also need to smooth out anyway. But it's getting to the point where it's closer and closer, and that's rather encouraging.

Full test backI'll give you a back view while I'm at it. For the record, these pics were taken before the hours I spent tweaking the skirt seams for where they'd line up. And I may need to do some work on the back still, since I'm not sure if those wrinkles count as making a swayback adjustment necessary. But I think I'll hold off on that one, since I am still going to need to play with some boning, and that might help to straighten it out.

Anyway, I may work on this bodice some more tomorrow, depending on if we have power and if I need to/am not allowed to report into work because we'll still be under a state of emergency. (I don't know if we will be or not. I guess I'll have to wait and see!)

9 comments:

  1. Looking good! Hope you continue to stay safe and dry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dress looks great and I'm sure you'll look fabolous on your big day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - you are going to look gorgeous in your dress! You are doing an amazing job with all that fitting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is starting to look really lovely. Your hard work is definitely paying off x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it's definitely taking shape! Muslining can be annoying like that, but the satisfaction of having a truly perfect pattern is worth all the trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the weather stays relatively calm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's looking very good!! I'm glad you are staying safe where you are :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is looking good!
    Thanks for your comment, although by "that thing" I assume you meant my lovely son...!
    With your brother, I would totally have made him the slender man costume. You win brownie points for what is actually a very easy thing to make... maximum kudos for minimum effort. Win!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hehe, that's OK I knew what you meant :) of course slender man is very very creepy I couldn't agree more!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!