January 2, 2009

A 2008 Retrospective, part 2: End-of-the-year projects!

Figured I'd better stick the last couple things I made last year up here before I get too far behind.
First up: the ill-fated Cleopatra costume. The dummy shot is the best I can do for now, until I have an opportunity to actually wear it. I made this using a lengthened version of the Minna from BurdaStyle, and the belt was completely winged. I'm glad I had the belt, because I think for this dress to be flattering on me without it, I'd have to eliminate the pleat closest to the hips. But for toga-esque costume purposes, it works well.


Besides adding the length, I also raised the neckline a couple inches, and replaced the trim with solid pieces of fabric. Which was a good thing, because this still would have been cut way too low for my comfort without it.

As I said, the belt was completely winged- basically, the waist part is one leg of those spandex pants, and the hanging down part is the other leg. The stripes are just scraps of fabric from previous projects-- the blue from my silver and blue elf-style Renaissance costume, the red from a second Ren costume that I made for Cassie, and the white is just a random scrap of some free fabric. Yay for scraps! And then it's held in the back with several hook-and-eyes.

Finally, the necklace. I finished this on Sunday. Mostly just cheap plastic beads from my and my mom's stashes.




I also spent some time on Monday making a cover for my planner for this year. Mainly for protection. Things in my bag tend to get rather beat up.

I also added a pen loop and a ribbon with velcro to keep it closed.










Finally, I also made some more of those felt ornaments for tomorrow's party. Technically I finished those today, since I had to add the paint details to the snowman/penguin/gingerbread man, but it was mostly a Monday deal as well.

I've spent a good bit of time today and Wednesday working with the knitting machine, and I do have pictures, but I'll save that for a separate post since this one's already loaded up. I'll just leave it at I think it'll be a positive thing. And I got the March 2007 issue of Burda World of Fashion in the mail today! Yay for eBay. I'd gotten it mainly for this jacket, but I also really like this blouse. And this knit shirt. And this top. And I'm rather in love with this skirt (which just also happens to be shown in a different fabric with the blouse, but you can see the silhouette better on this pic). Funny how I seem to be drawn to all the stuff shown made up in hippie style...

Anyway, I'm hoping I have some stuff in my stash that will work for some of these, because I'm rather excited about trying my first BWOF now! Whichever one that may be...

6 comments:

  1. Oh wow! That costume is fabulous! I'm sad to read you didn't get to wear it. It'll be a fun halloween costume though! Those ornaments are too cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful costume! To bad the party poopers weren't into costumes... I don't understand people... I mean, I know anytime I get a chance to wear a costume of any kind I'm all over it!

    I can't wait to see what you do with the knitting machine!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had that problem to! I have to dart/tuck the waist band pattern in three places so it fits. I also copied a couple of rare pairs that fit me so I have those patterns to remake.. I have a link to the copying technique I used on my blog. Without that I would not have good fitting jeans.
    Maybe that will help....

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great costume! Do you have a wig to wear, too?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Costume!! The belt and necklace really set it off (no hint that you were covering up anything). Enjoy the BWOF - looking forward to what you make!

    ReplyDelete
  6. your work is creative and looks awesome! keep posting the pictures :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!