January 17, 2009

Princess Pajamas!

Well, purple is the color of royalty, right? Just please excuse the clashing red slippers. (What can I say... they were a gift, and they cover my entire foot so they're warmer than my old slippers.)

Anyway, I decided to start actually using my Pattern Review membership and start posting reviews. So welcome to my very first pattern review, for the pajamas I finished on Wednesday. (Even though I think this pattern is out of print now. Oh well. It's the thought that counts, right?) The actual review is here).

Pattern: McCall's 3017

Fabric: flannel-backed polyester satin, cotton


Pattern Description:
Women's pajama pants, pajama shorts, camisole, and button-down top

Pattern Sizing:
XS to XL

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?
I didn't have any difficulty with them.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I like that there's so many options for customization, particularly with the contrast bands and piping. I don't particularly like the sizing on the button-down shirt-- I made a size smaller than my usual because after checking the finished garment measurements against my own, I realized I'd be swimming in my regular size. The smaller shirt is still loose-fitting and comfortable.

Fabric Used:
A flannel-backed polyester satin (SO soft and warm!), and a metallic-printed woven cotton for the piping. (Made my own.)

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
As already stated, it was necessary for me to make the shirt a size smaller than I usually make. I also lengthened the sleeves an inch or two to accommodate my long arms. (The latter caused a slight difficulty in fitting the cuffs smoothly to the sleeves, but I'll blame myself for that one since I didn't alter the cuffs at all.)

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
This is actually the second time I've sewn the bottom--I made a pair of shorts from this pattern awhile back. I will definitely be returning to this pattern the next time I need a button-down top--it came together quickly and rather easily, for the most part. And I would recommend it, though a more beginner sewer might want to leave the piping off, since getting it to line up smoothly around the collar was the most challenging part. Just make sure to double-check the measurements before cutting out the top.

Conclusion:
These pajamas are very comfortable (wearing them as I type!), and now that I've had a little more practice with the piping, I think that will go much more smoothly next time.


Coming next time (because I haven't taken a picture yet)-- the shirt I reconstructed yesterday.

6 comments:

  1. Very pretty! Nice job on the piping too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the purple PJ's. Helpful review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look very luxurious, I wish I owned something like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really fab jammies! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great photo! Something tells me that your friends and family will be clamoring for Becky-sewn princess pajamas of their own in about 11 more months! And welcome to PatternReview.com. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! And excuse me, but aren't red and purple meant to go together? I like the combo, myself!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!