January 11, 2009

Organization woes

I have this kind of like-hate relationship with organization. Admittedly, I'm nowhere close to being a neat freak. (I'm not even sure that gene even exists in my family!) And I tend to be the person who doesn't clean up after a project-- either I run out of time, or I'm just ready to go on to something else and don't bother. So things tend to get really, really messy (as you can see here). And I have this weird thing going where I like things to be organized because then I can find stuff, but at the same time I hate it because the predominant creative side of my brain thinks it's kind of anal.

Anyway, the point of this story is that I pretty much spent all day yesterday doing just that-- organizing. My parents are rather cool about letting me keep my craft supplies in their storage space, since there's no way I can fit any of that stuff in my room. But it was kind of out of control, as you can see, and since I'm trying to get things together in preparation for a scrapbook binge and need to know what supplies I have to work with, figured this would be a good time to sort it out.

This is the after shot. Yeah, it took pretty much literally all day for me to pull everything off the shelves, sort it out, and put it back. Other than a few hours in the afternoon when I was out of the house. And I'm going to have to do some organizing within the organizing-- like all of my jewelry stuff is pretty much either in that plain wood crate or the greenish plastic bin with no rhyme or reason to it. But overall, it's much better.
Had a little fun with the labelmaker, as you can see (thus the feeling of anal-ness), so that should help with being able to find my stuff...and if I can keep up with it, hopefully that'll mean more time for crafting and less time digging around for it!

Also, seriously... I really should not buy any more scrapbook paper for the next three years, at least. (Unless I really run out of a color of cardstock. Like completely out of black.) And I'm probably set for albums until I'm 35. And page protectors for awhile. My mom and one of my good friends both ended up passing a bunch of supplies on to me, because both of them tried it and decided it wasn't for them, so I've seriously got something like 7 unused albums down there.

But I guess that's a good thing, because I found a bunch of stuff down there that needs to go into them, too. Like the half-finished album from my Chile trip, which was almost exactly 2 years ago. (I stopped working on it because I wasn't happy with how it was turning out and took a hiatus... good thing I wrote the journaling first thing!) And another envelope of half-finished scrapbook, this one being one I started making during my senior year of college to celebrate all the things that made my life what it is, like my friends and family and locations that were important to me and stuff. (I was coming off of a bad relationship and worse breakup, and it was kind of a therapy thing. But I didn't actually finish assembling it because I got caught up in stuff like preparing for my senior recital, and then grad school hit, and...yeah.) And even a bunch of stuff from high school that I meant to put into an album, like the school photos my friends and I would exchange every year where we'd write messages to each other on the back, some of the more creative projects (illustrated German children's book, anyone?), stuff like that which I ended up keeping but didn't make it into the scrapbook I had at the time that encompassed all of high school. (It was just starting to get popular, and one of my crafty aunts gave me a kit for Christmas when I was a freshman or something. I'm glad I had it then because then I had a way to keep track of the fun stuff I did with my friends, but it was one of the ones where it was basically just sheets of this heavy tan paper in an odd-sized album, and I would just glue pieces of 8.5x11" paper onto it and then layer my photos and stuff on top of that with no page protectors or anything. I didn't even have the slightest clue about 12x12" albums and page protectors until I started reading some of the scrapbook magazines at AC Moore once!) And then there's a bunch of photos I took when I was a kid, and an album full of pictures from a missions trip my church took to Jamaica when I was in junior high that should probably go into something better than that photo-rotting magnetic album thing...

But, yeah. Suffice to say, I will not run out of stuff to try and catch up on any time soon. Guess I'd better get off of here so I can start making a dent in that. Should I say this is a bad thing about organization, too? Ignorance might have been bliss!

4 comments:

  1. Yikes - I'm not a big fan of organization either... In theory I like it, but in practice I'm not so good at it. There are a couple of closets in our house that we just don't open the doors to... ;)
    Congratulations on getting your stuff back under control! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job getting things organized! One of the best benefits, aside from being able to find stuff easier, is saving room. Hope that's been the case for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's how I spent my holiday break... i'm an organizing freak. and one of my new year's resolutions is to sew down the stash SIGNIFICANTLY, before buying more material. Nothing! 13 days without shopping and counting...

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh I am jealous! That looks great. I am still getting up the strength to begin organizing- I think I do it every january and then soon stop.
    ~Shawna
    sewcraftblog group 3

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!