September 18, 2010

Change of plans...

So it's looking like I'm not doing that contest at BurdaStyle after all. My main reasoning being this-- I was strongly suspecting that I didn't have much wiggle room when it came to the fabric for the vest I'd envisioned. I cut out the pieces for the pattern I wanted to base it off of and laid it out on the dress yesterday, and I was right-- there's no room for alteration to the original design. Or the lining, for that matter, which is a pretty crucial design element since you can see it. (My idea was to use the shiny underside of the same fabric, since this ended up being a hard-to-match brown.) Also, I have a gift for my cousin's fiancee's bridal shower that I need to cut out and sew by next Saturday (an apron, so it shouldn't take long, but still) and my own dress/jewelry for the same wedding to make asap. And I have that Burda jacket that I've been meaning to make for 2 years that I'd like to get done while I can still wear 3/4 sleeves. So I've decided that, given how quickly my weeks keep filling up, I'd be better off not putting that additional pressure of another sewing deadline on myself.

So yesterday, I started the dress instead. My plan is to cut out and sew the apron, or at least as much of it as I can, tomorrow after church. I lost last night and this morning to dogsitting, this afternoon to baking with my mom and sis-in-law (apple pies! Yum!) and will be losing tonight to social time, but at least when I was dogsitting I was able to get some jewelry-making done. I don't think the dress will take long to make, especially since it's a knit and so I can sew the seams and finish the edges simultaneously. But I do have to make some changes to the original design, so I'm figuring those out.

This vest will get made, though. I like the idea for the pattern variation too much to not give it a shot, and the dress is already in pieces. I just need to go to Joann's and see if they have some more of that fabric so I have enough to, in the immortal words of Tim Gunn, make it work.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! Deadlines are a sure way to drive one mad and do more mistakes than usual...

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!