September 24, 2010
Wardrobe Refashion Wednesday #4: For the Price of a Cup of Tea...
Simplicity Project Runway patterns that I've had sitting around for awhile. (Hmm, apparently this one's out of print now. Maybe I should have taken that as a sign...) I figured this one would be ok, since it's one of the few knit fabric dress patterns I have that has sleeves. As it turns out, I was misled a bit by the technical drawing. I thought the bodice was going to be a lot longer than it was, but when I pulled it on, it turns out it was an empire-waisted dress instead of the bodice ending closer to the waist like I'd thought. (Maybe it's supposed to go to the waist, but it sure doesn't on me!) I've learned from experience that gathered empire-waists just make me look pregnant--not the look I want to go for. So then I added a panel and dropped the skirt down to the waist. When I got it down to there, the gathering was just not working because it was still giving me more of a belly than I have. So I tried to narrow the skirt enough to get that out, and ended up taking out too much. Rats.
So I'm giving up on this one as a dress, and trying to salvage it into a top. I'd probably get more wear out of it that way anyway. But I don't have enough time to make another dress now, so I'm just going to have to suck it up and go shopping. Maybe I'll have better luck with my next upcoming family wedding in April...either that, or maybe I need to rethink my plan of making my own wedding dress if I ever get married myself!