If you want to destroy my sweater, whoa-oh-oh... Anyway, this one has actually been in progress for some time, and isn't entirely finished yet. You may remember this sweater pic that I posted some time ago-- I picked this up at Goodwill last winter or somewhere in that vicinity, because I wanted a black cardigan I could throw over top of things for an extra layer of warmth. Well, this turned out to be completely impractical for that purpose, and I ended up finding a much more suitable one on the clearance rack at Kohl's. So this one ended up getting turned into one of my sewing experiments.
This is where it's at now. Took some time to get here, because in the midst of chopping it up and serging off all of the raw edges to keep it from really turning into the Sweater Song (if ever someone decided to pull some thread as I walked away) was the time over the summer when my serger was in the shop. (Actually, working on this was when I realized there was something wrong with it--and when I was sewing on the sleeves yesterday, I found a piece from one of the needles I broke then. Glad I noticed before I put it on!) Plus there's been handsewing. Which is basically what I worked on today. The basic construction is done, but I'm thinking I'm going to have to take it back to the serger and take in some at the sleeve seams and side, at least where the horizontal bands are. It's kind of oddly poofy because, even with the serger, things got a little more stretched out than I'd hoped. But if that serger trick works, all I really need to do is add some buttons and loops and this will be done. I like the concept, especially since the original sweater had these fun zig-zaggy hems and I've managed to preserve those, so hopefully I can get the execution to match! (But I'm hoping I can take said sweater and buttons to the family gathering on Saturday so this can be done before the next Wardrobe Refashion Wednesday. Mainly so I can find something else to demolish!