August 9, 2008

Sadie (finally!) and my hippie craftstravaganza

It only took me what, 8 days to get the pics? But here is my lovely bamboo Sadie. I still love how soft this is. I need some more bamboo jersey.
And a closeup of the drape in the front...


...and also underneath the drape. I didn't quite follow the directions, which called for sewing the two pieces right sides together and then binding it. I wanted less bulk and a clean finish, so I sewed the wrong side of the drape to the right side of the shirt, hiding the seam underneath the drape.

And this is what I spent today doing...
It looked like a rug when I was getting started...
I had to improvise with the dye bottle...
...and this was the fun part! No pics of the final fabric yet, but I'm really happy with how it turned out. Just some cotton muslin that I'm going to be using for an upcoming project.
I also spent some time on this:
This is a very comfortable skirt from the Dharma Trading Company. One of my favorite skirts is a black version of this that I embroidered the bottom of. This one was a dye job and fabric stamping. But I never wore it, because the skirt turned out much pinker than I liked, and after the stamping, I wasn't such a huge fan of the way it turned out. So I decided to overdye it and see what happened.
I used a deep purple. After rinsing it out, the color is kind of a darkish plum, which is much more to my liking. I also discovered that the paint could be mostly scraped off in spots. Unfortunately, in my attempt to speed this up with a popsicle stick, I ended up ripping a hole in the bottom of the skirt! (That's what I get for working on a concrete step...dummy me!) So this afternoon also included an impromptu trip to Joann's. I found some sheer in shades of purple that mostly covers up the gold, so I'm going to mend the hole and then layer that on top. Once I get that done, I'm going to add some ribbon to cover the seam. I also got some fabric to test out the BurdaStyle jacket I want to make-- didn't want muslin because I wanted something more jacket-weight, both for accuracy in fitting and just in case it works right away because then I can have two jackets. ;-) So there was this teal wide-wale corduroy on sale for about the same price per yard as muslin, so I went for that.

5 comments:

  1. I love the way that bamboo fabric looks in the finished garment. I bet it's really soft.
    Dyeing looks like fun (I typed 'dying,' but I think maybe that would NOT be fun) and I haven't done it in years. How many years? Well...I did it when tie-dye was first popular, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you have me curious about the finished tie-dye... and about the finished skirt, too.
    The Sadie looks lovely, it's a really nice colour, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for Sadie! It looks gorgeous. Hope you get lots and lots of wear from it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your top is gorgeous! I sooo want it! hehe

    Can't wait to see the final version of the skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the way you attached the drape! i wonder what the sadie would look like as a knee length dress...

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!