April 11, 2011

A Renaissance-y reconstruction

Since I had all that unexpected free time this afternoon (see previous post), I was able to get my necessary  chores that I stayed home tonight for done much earlier than I'd thought I would. So I did some clothes chopping! (Picture-heavy post warning.)

So I had this shirt that I made back in college. Love the fabric--it's this burnout velvet with this swirly design in these gorgeous, rich, autumny colors. I forget what pattern I used--it may have been a Butterick, but it's not one that's showing up in its out of print section. (My other guess was Simplicity, and it's not there either.)

This was the main reason I wasn't wearing it anymore. This was right around the time that I was figuring out that my arms are longer than average, but before I realized that this means that I have to add length to everything I make that has long sleeves or it just isn't going to work. So the shortest part of the diagonally-hemmed sleeve ended up something like 3" above my wrist, and it drove me absolutely nuts. But I still like the fabric, so I wanted to make it work for me again.

So here's what I did....
I took the sleeve.... (in all of its rich autumnal glory!)

...cut a chunk out of it on either side...

...and was left with this. Yeah, there's a bit of a size difference there.

So, after flipping it so that the seam on the asymmetric end was the opposite of what it was before, I gathered it and reattached it to the now shorter sleeve.

I decided to do some work on the neckline while I was at it, too. It had a short zipper in the back neck, which I never really understood because I ended up being able to pull this thing over my head just fine even when it was zipped up. So I took the facing and the zipper out, then restitched the back seam.

I'd wanted to change the neckline up a little anyway, but it became necessary since I accidentally poked a small hole in the front with my seam ripper. Oops. So I just cut a modest scoop out of the front, then turned it under and stitched it down.

And voila! I think the more open neckline actually makes it much more flattering on me, and I love the way the sleeves turned out. (It'll probably be even better once I press it all for real, but I was a bit too impatient to get the pictures and all.)

And the obligatory shot on Donna, since I can get the lighting better on her than on me this time of day!

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful upcycle project! I love that fabric too.

    I am back from traveling for 4.5 months...and catching up on all my blogs which I follow. Nice to "see" you again,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great reconstruction! The new version looks so much better and more flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. VERY cool remake! Apparently clothes chopping is better than clothes shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These does look really fantastic! I love the new neckline, and the sleeve solution is pure genius! And I can see why that gorgeous fabric is well worth rejuvenating, those colours, sigh...

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!