It's a Renfrew, of course, since I've been talking about revisiting this pattern since the first one I'd made. And I think that was actually the best possible choice for this fabric. It's hard to tell how a fabric will handle as flat yardage sometimes, and I discovered as I was working with it that the edges have a very strong tendency to curl to the outside, and develop little tiny runs in the fabric in the process. So a pattern with bands at the sleeves and hem was the perfect counterbalance, and I'm glad I didn't try to do one with a more traditional hem! Especially since I'd been going back and forth for quite some time about what this fabric wanted to be.
I'd originally altered this pattern to make the waist curve in a few sizes smaller, but for this one, I cut it more of a straight size 8. The fabric is sheer enough that I knew from the start I'd have to wear this as a layering piece, and with its clingy tendencies, I wanted to give it a little extra wiggle room to make it easier to pull over my camisoles. I also did a cheater adjustment on the arm length, and just cut that to the largest size with the width of the regular size 8. It worked perfectly, and I'm quite happy to not have my wrists hanging out like they often do with long-sleeved shirts! I'll be cranking out at least one more of these before the cold weather ends, and this pretty much clinches it as my favorite knit top pattern!
This was my artist friend (the one I made that apron and placemat set for recently), and I have to say, her vision turned out quite lovely! The grapevines with the twinkle lights were already there, but we hung the paper lanterns ourselves. There were a lot of people helping to set up, so even though there was a lot of work, it was still a relaxing, fun time.
I did a little more crafting for this, too! The night before the wedding, the rest of the bridesmaids, the bride and I made our bouquets.None of us had really done floral arranging before, unless you count my trial-and-error artificial centerpieces that I made for my own wedding, but I think they turned out nicely! It just took us a few tries, that's all.
I also made that little banner hanging up there by the dessert table. I don't have a decent close-up because there wasn't time, but I brought it home with me, so I can take one if anyone is interested.
I have one more recently finished project that needs photographing (knitting this time), and I'd better get on it, since the Doctor Who Sewalong is officially on now!
Your renfrew looks nice. I like the fabric - it is very fall and goes with the beautiful barn quite nicely. How awesome to get it done so quick!
ReplyDeleteI think the stripes of your top landed just perfectly. Too much symmetry would have been ... well, too much symmetry. :-)
ReplyDeleteI like your fabric too. Agree with Debbie on the issue of symmetry.
ReplyDeleteI think the stripes are lined up really well on the top! I love that you thought to put one around the smallest part of your waist.
ReplyDeleteTotally intentional! ;) Though I did admittedly eyeball the placement, so I'm glad it actually worked out like I meant it to.
DeleteGood work on the top. What a good use of two days off. What is the doctorwho sew along? I haven't heard of this.
ReplyDeleteGo over to fanbloomingtastic.typepad.com- she's the hostess, and all of the info is there. It just started this week, so you haven't missed much!
Deletewill do thank you.
DeleteOh, very nice, and that fabric is beautiful! I agree with Debbie, the stripe placement looks fine. I like that it accents your waist. :)
ReplyDelete