April 26, 2013

branching out

Both literally and in terms of knitting technique, as that was the name of this pattern.
IMG_0538
These are the "Branching Out" mitts from the Coastal Knits book, which I got for Christmas in 2011. This was also my first foray into colorwork other than stripes, and I think that I handled it pretty well overall! They could probably use a good blocking to even the stitches out, but as usual, I'm impatient and wanted to show off my finished project! Also, I may want to wear these tonight, since despite the fact that we're finally scraping into the 60s, my hands are still perpetually cold.

IMG_0539
Aside from the colorwork, this was also my first attempt at a thumb gusset instead of just a hole! I think it went pretty decently. And they fit really well, too-- I know they look very long, but I don't mind most of my fingers being covered. Aside from playing the flute, I should still be able to mostly use my hands fine.

It was a little bit of a challenge to come up with yarn that would work, since I can't do the wool thing, but I ended up using the Milky Whey yarn that I got last summer at the beach yarn shop. It's half-soy, half-milk (!), and absolutely lovely to work with and to wear--it's so soft! Once again, I seriously overestimated how much yarn I needed, and have at least 2/3 of a skein of the tan and maybe around 1 1/4 of the blue left over, so I think a matching slouchy hat will be in order. If I can find that full ball of yarn, that is--somehow, between last night and the previous time I'd worked on it, the entire unused skein of the blue disappeared from my knitting bag! I hope it turns up as I'm packing!

Also in knitting news, I was recently gifted the Craftsy class of my choice by Gwen, as an early wedding present! It was a tough call, because there's a lot of tempting sewing classes that I haven't signed up for yet. But in the end, I decided to sign up for the Knit Lab class, because I've realized that there's some finishing details, like sewing up seams and especially weaving in ends, that I could really use some extra work on to take my knitting to the next level. I probably won't get to it before the wedding, but hopefully I have some yarn in the stash that will be good to use for the class project.

Guess what? I also have a sewing project to show! But not in this post, as I still need to take pictures.

2 comments:

  1. The mittens look great :-) Can't wait to hear more about the Craftsy class when you have taken it.

    xx Eddie


    Eddie's Room on Facebook come on over for some crafty ideas and conversation :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Milk and soy yarn sounds scrumptious. :) The colourwork looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!