April 3, 2013

The end is....

here!!! It took me hand-stitching straight up to midnight, because I was so easily distracted while sewing, but the dress is officially DONE!

I'm going to wait to do the big final reveal pictures until after the wedding, because then I'll have the best pictures with my hair all done up nice and out of the way. But I do have two last detail shots from the lining, courtesy of my phone, since I've been working on this in the evenings over the last 2 days while it's been too dark to use the nice camera.
Lining narrow hem
I did a narrow machine hem all around the lining--partially to speed up the process, and partially to practice the technique. I have another friend getting married this year, she already has her dress, and it fits perfectly other than it being too long, so I told her I'd hem it for her. She's practically my honorary bridesmaid, so I don't mind.






Untitled
I also have a bustle, sort of--I discovered after pinning in and partially sewing the lining that the center back was hanging past the hem of the dress! At this point, I've stopped caring about perfection and just wanted to finish, so rather than rip out and redo that portion of the hem, I figured no one will see it but me, so I just tacked that up and secured it under the zipper.

I did have one tiny little mishap last night, where I was trimming a thread sticking out next to the zipper, and accidentally nicked the skirt with my scissors! I'm rather proud of myself for staying calm--it was small and hardly noticeable thanks to the zipper seam allowance underneath, so I just stuck some fray check on it this morning and left it at that. Trying to mend it would have made it more noticeable, and I don't think anyone will know except for me (and now all of you who read this.)

So, aside from the final reveal, that's it! Thanks to all of you who have followed along on this massive project and left encouraging words. And you bet my next couple of projects are going to be much less complicated!

15 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see the finished dress! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, you did it! I'm sure it is AMAZING! I look forward to the big reveal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurray for having it finished!! I think if you tried for perfection you'd only end up sending yourself crazy!

    So excited for the big reveal!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:28 AM

    Yay!!!!! I'm so glad you finished! You must be elated! Can't wait to see photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:15 PM

    You must feel so good to have it done!!!
    I'm really looking forward to seeing the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How exciting! Congratulations and good luck with the rest of the wedding planning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! I can't wait to see the full reveal! I know you are going to look absolutely and heart-stoppingly beautiful!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5:36 PM

    That's so exciting! Congratulations - I can't wait to see it properly :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats! It must be a great feeling having completed such a big and important project! I'm excited to see the dress on the final photos on your big day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. congratulations!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! What a monster effort, I'm so impressed. I'm sure it and you will be absolutely gorgeous and I can't wait to see the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous4:14 AM

    Yay for finishing! Now I'm really curious to see the final reveal, altough I understand your wanting to do the whole picture with hair and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Big congratulations! And good luck with everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on finishing this gargantuan project!
    All the best for your wedding, and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished pics!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!