What I learned overall:
- I will completely ignore a silhouette if I don't like the print or color. I probably need to work on embracing the solids, don't I?
- I'm somewhat limited in my shoes--since I know I can't find a lot to fit my extra-wide feet, I tried to stick with ideas that would use similar shoes to what I already have.
- No wonder I'm having trouble with winter clothes--most of the sweaters I have don't fit the silhouettes I'm drawn to.
| From "My Core Style" Pinterest board |
I think these are probably pretty self-explanatory with the silhouettes-- I made this one during one of my other "figure out my style" phases to show how I'd typically dress for when I'm teaching my flute lessons.
Same with this one--more of a casual weekend look.
And now, on to the ones I made specifically for this project! For these, I tried to think of ways I could vary a particular outfit, either to make it appropriate for another season or just to mix it up. I did two for summer, two for winter, and two that could go either way, depending on what I wear with it. So let's start with summer, shall we?
Even though this one is made with a dress, I think the same principle could apply for separates--a fitted top with an A-line skirt, for instance. Some kind of lightweight layer for when the AC freezes me out, sandals, and chunky jewelry. The fall variation would swap out the cardigan for a jacket. And my brown boots aren't exactly like that, but close enough. (Also, this outfit is reminding me that I need to replace my falling-apart tan sandals this year. Ugh. I hate shoe shopping.)
For my second summer look, I decided to go maxi! The flats would most likely be sandals in the summer. But I thought this would be a potentially good look for how to wear my t-shirts, too. (Incidentally, it's hard to find the type of graphic tees that I actually wear on Polyvore, but I did find one, thanks to Etsy. It says, "I never received my acceptance letter to Hogwarts. So I have left the Shire to become a Jedi.") Of course, for this to actually work, I probably need a maxi-skirt or two that's actually solid...
I noticed belatedly that I didn't have any shorts outfits on here. But the truth is, even though I have to own them for at least my retail job, I'm actually a lot more comfortable wearing skirts and dresses in the summer. Probably because they're generally longer. I probably should come up with some kind of shorts silhouette I can live with, though, because skirts aren't always a practical option in my world.
For my first winter look, I decided to go with more of what I'd want to wear to work--in this case, skinny pants with boots, a longer top, and a sweater. This is how I've been wearing that short sweater that I dyed back in the fall, and I surprisingly like the look. So I'll have to attempt making skinny pants at some point so I can play with this sort of thing more.
Finally, my two looks that I tried to make multi-seasonal:
So how did I do? I'm not saying I'd only wear these particular silhouettes, obviously, but it's a starting point. I'm looking forward to seeing what tomorrow's challenge is!
I'm week behind in the Wardrobe Architect exercises, but it looks like I should hurry up and get to this week. It looks like what I have been wanting to put together for myself. You are inspiring be to get back to work.
ReplyDeleteCreate ideas.