February 28, 2014

Wardrobe Architect, Week 7: Prints vs. Solids

Hi, my name is Becky, and I'm a printoholic.

At least, that's how I usually think of myself. When it comes to shopping, both for fabrics and when I'm at the thrift store, the print is what generally draws my eye first. I have to make a much more conscious effort to think of wardrobe staples in solids, and get way more excited about sewing the prints. I dream of someday having the guts and print-mixing savvy of people like Oona, because then I can wear more prints at once! So this exercise was an interesting one for me.

If you take a look at my closet, yes, there's solids. The most prominent ones at the moment are my jackets. But there's quite a few prints hanging out there, too. Sarai's suggested homework was to pull out my 10-20 most worn items and see what's prints vs what's solids, but I didn't feel that would give an accurate assessment of my particular tastes. Especially this time of year, when I rely so heavily on pants and layering pieces, and pretty much all of my jackets/sweaters and all of the Thurlows I made recently are solids. So I did things a little differently...

I went through my closet and took a look at 3 different categories of things--tops, skirts and dresses. (I left out pants, jackets and sweaters, since as I said, they're all pretty much solid at this point, aside from a few subtle stripes in purchased pants and one Anthropologie cardigan.) I further divided tops into things I'm more likely to wear when it's warmer vs cooler, because I suspected that my print preferences could change with the seasons. So here's what I found--I even made pie charts, just because I could!



This one surprised me, actually. I wasn't expecting so many of my warmer tops to be solid. But I guess it makes a little sense, because I'm also more likely to wear print skirts in the warmer weather, and I generally wear a solid top with those. (For the record, this did not include graphic t-shirts, camisoles, or other knit basic tank tops.)




This one was a little more balanced out overall, though there were also more things that I wasn't sure how to categorize.








I'm not really surprised that nearly half of my skirts were solid. "Other" tended to lean more towards novelty prints here.









I didn't count more formal-type dresses in here, or that would have upped the solid count. As it was, I tend to think of dresses more as a one-and-done wardrobe option, which is why prints so solidly dominate here.



To take a closer look at what I actually own, I pulled out several typical print garments for me, depending on the season.

 The majority of things in both rows are things I've made, but there are a few purchased things in there as well.

I also took a look at what's actually in my stash right now and easily accessible. (So not things that I already have bagged up for specific projects, and not things that are more of a texture-print.)

A few stripes, a few paisleys, lots of big graphic floral-type things, though I honestly have to say that the one I'm most excited about using is that Japanese teacup print in the center top row!

So, to summarize:
  • "Floral prints", for me, tend to be more stylized or even geometric in nature. They also more often lean towards a medium-to-large scale. It's also pretty common for them to actually be leaves.
  • A lot of my "other" fell under the categories of paisley, or a hand-dyed look, or more pictoral prints, like the day 13 skirt here. I do love a good novelty print, but in practice, am more likely to use them as bags. (Or jacket linings.) However, some of my florals could also be considered a novelty print. Lonsdale dress, I'm looking at you. 
  • I like swirly prints, apparently. A lot of them have curving lines.
  • Yes, my taste in prints are somewhat seasonal! I'm much more likely to wear stripes or plaid in the colder months, for instance. And florals when it's warmer. How novel.
  • For the most part, things like dots and animal prints, which were two of the examples given in the post, didn't even rank. I think I have two dotted prints total, and you see them both in this post.
  • Overall, it looks like the way I should rank my taste in prints is the following:
    • 1. stylized/bold florals
    •  2. Abstract/geometric, often with a swirly motif
    • 3. Stripes or plaid
    • 4. Novelty prints
So I made this, using prints I already have, either in my finished clothes or in my stash. Photoshop is magic.

7 comments:

  1. Printaholics of the world unite! I am especially taken with your blue chinese cup stash fabric, it's so gorgeous. You have inspired me to do a study of my own stash, although I have long feared I have bird print "issues"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, that doesn't necessarily sound like a bad thing! Bird prints can be really fun!

      Delete
  2. Love your pie charts! Charts are such fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had fun making them--visuals are way more fun than straight-up numbers, IMO.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous11:00 PM

    I love your pie charts - what a great way to analyze your "wardrobe data"! I have to admit, I've gotten a little intimidated by how detailed the whole Wardrobe Architect project has become - I get nervous when I have to think about such subjective things (I have a tendency to get lost in all the decisions!) - but your concrete approach has inspired me to try again. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that I was able to help! I figured I could go with the thought of the homework being a guideline, not a rule, in order to get the most accurate assessment. :)

      Delete
  4. Anonymous2:58 PM

    I think of you as a print person, and many of your me-mades resemble water to me, in colour and print. I really don't have the time to do all exercises thoroughly, but I have pinned down which prints I like, I just need to put it on paper (or rather, blog)

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!