I'm pleasantly surprised by this pattern, to be honest. The website describes the fit as "loose but elegant", and I don't usually care for a looser fit in my tops. But I figured I'd give it a shot, because the pattern was free, and I figured that as a worst-case scenario, I could just wear this as a bum around the house shirt. But this doesn't hang off me like a sack, like I half-expected it to--it's actually a lot more flattering than I thought it would be. If the knit wasn't as drapey as it is, I don't think it would have worked as well, so I'll have to keep that in mind for any future versions.
Aside from the modifications to make the yoke, including a little extra topstitching to make the pieces lie flatter, I made this a straight-up size 40. The only other sizing modification that I made was to add an inch to the sleeves, in what I call my "monkey arm adjustment". It worked perfectly, and I was able to go ahead and use the 3/4" hem allowance that the pattern called for and still cover my wrists in their entirety. I was also surprised that the elbow patches ended up actually hitting at my elbows without any adjustments.
One more shot on Donna, for a closeup of the fabrics! I love this stylized floral knit--it feels somewhat Asian to me. I've been hoarding both of these for awhile, and had been thinking for a long time about using them together, since the teals are so close in color. My long-term thought had been to make some kind of knit dress out of it, but I've been putting it off for a long time because the print is on the thinner side, and I figured I'd have to try and line it somehow to keep my underwear from showing through. While working through all of the Wardrobe Architect stuff so far, though, I realized that I'd probably get a lot more use out of this as a top. I'm pretty good on summery dresses (even though I do have definite plans to make more), and this fabric is too thin to make a good colder-weather dress. So I guess this process is helping me make smart sewing decisions!
Pattern: Deer & Doe Plantain tee - third pattern used this year.
Amount of time it took to make: A couple of hours from start to finish, plus about 30 minutes for the scarf
Fabric used: Two pieces of rayon knit (one used up, for a total of 5 pieces so far this year.)
Amount of fabric used: 2.25 yards of the print, plus a tiny bit more of the solid
Stashed since: Print was from Christmas 2010, not entirely sure about the solid except that it's been there longer than that.
Current stash total: Approx. 333.25 yards.
Nice work. I like the contrasting band and shoulder inserts.
ReplyDeleteI love your Plantain, Becky! The print looks so lovely, it's a great colour and I like the solid yoke detail in addition to the elbow patches! :)
ReplyDelete